Table of Contents
So you’ve decided to migrate your digital assets from Go Daddy to Bluehost. To this end, and especially if you’ve never done this before, you’re in the right place. Here are a few guidelines to pay attention to as you go through the process;
- The remaining time in your domain name’s expiration date must be more than 15 days.
- The first registration date of your domain name is more than 60 days ago.
- You can transfer your domain only if it has one of these extensions: com, net, org, info, co, us, and biz.
Find below a list of steps that will help you transfer your domain from Go Daddy to Bluehost successfully.
How To Transfer Your Domain From Go Daddy To BlueHost
- Open domain settings – Login to Go Daddy and visit the Products page. Then, choose the domain name you wish to transfer and click on Manage
- Check Your Whois Contact Information – Next, you should check that your domain contact information is correct. This is important because Godaddy will send a unique authorization code to your Whois email address, and that code will be needed to complete the domain transfer.
3. Disable Privacy Domain Protection – If you’ve purchased domain privacy then you’ll want to disable it before initiating the transfer. From the Domain Control Center, select your domain and scroll down to Privacy Settings, then select Turn Privacy Off.
- Change Name Servers – When transferring a domain it’s important to have as little downtime as possible. If your domain servers need to be changed to Bluehost then we recommend doing this before you initiate the transfer.
- Unlock Domain Name – Next, you need to unlock the domain. You can do this by switching your locking status from ON to OFF. Once this is done, it can take 2-5 minutes for it to update.
- Get Your Authorization Code EPP – Now that your domain is unlocked, you’re ready to get your authorization code. Before you do this, double check one last time if you have the right email address specified in your contact information. This is where Godaddy will send you the authorization code for the transfer. Press “Get authorization code”, and you will shortly receive an email containing your EPP authorization code. After you click on the link, you’ll be taken to another page, proceed afterward to the next page, and your authorization code will be sent to your email, and you’ll also have the option to view your authorization code from that same page.
Bluehost - What you need to do on Bluehost when transferring your domain from Go Daddy to Bluehost
- Add Your Domain Name – Enter the domain name you wish to transfer.
- Add Your Authorization Code – After entering the domain name, you’ll be asked for your EPP authorization code. Add the code you received in your email from Godaddy.
- Transfer Settings – In the contact information section, you can choose the credentials that will display as the contact information for your domain.
- Domain Name Transfer Payment – The final step in this process is making payment. On the checkout page, make sure to select at least 1 year as quantity for your domain.
- Check The Progress – A domain transfer usually takes between 5 and 7 days. Meanwhile, you can check the progress by going to the Domain Manager then on Transfer EPP under the details, you can see the current status of your domain transfer.
Once you’ve followed above steps correctly then congratulations, You’ve just got yourself a new lease on life by successfully initiating a domain name transfer from GoDaddy to BlueHost.
If you have any issues during transfer or require clarification, you may reach out to the customer support emails of both hosting providers and you’ll get all the support you need.
If you’re just starting out as a blogger and are looking for a website builder that works, click here to learn more.